Taking a break from Fire Emblem Fates today! Instead, the Making of Fire Emblem: 25 Years of Development Secrets book features original profiles of characters from Path of Radiance. There are a lot of interesting things to look at for fans of the Tellius saga, familiar names but very different story.
I did Ike’s profile yesterday. Today I look at Mist. Tomorrow, I will do Tiamat/Titania.
You can find much more from this book on the compilation post here.
As you can imagine, the process of doing all this (scanning, editing, translating in some cases, etc) took a lot of time, and I am unemployed… so if you like what I did, then…
Please donate! It helps fund future projects!
This translation comes from a document on page 336 of the book. It required a magnifying glass to read, but was readable! I provide the original Japanese transcript below my analysis at the end of the post.
Origin: Empire of Babylonia, Principality of Persis
Position: Plays a pivotal role in the formation of a group of vassals left behind by his father, acts as stand-in group chief (the female protagonist)
- 0 Years: Born to a knight family that serves Duke Persis, who is part of the Babylonia Empire
- 10 Years: Suddenly, her father is charged with treason, and their castle was invaded. Her father is killed in action, and her mother is unaccounted for. Her father’s subordinates, Tiamat and the others, escape the castle.
- 12 Years: Tiamat and the other survivors form a mercenary group. Mist learns magic from one of her father’s subordinates who is an aged magic user.
- 15 Years: Her brother (who became chief of the group) is injured. She takes control of the group in his place.
- Father (not yet named): A Knight who serves Duke Persis in the Empire of Babylonia. 5 years ago, he was charged with treason and executed by Duke Persis.
- Mother (not yet named): An adopted daughter of Duke Persis who married Ike’s father. She has been missing since the incident 5 years ago.
- Ike (older brother) [Tentative]: Just a year older than Mist, and is part of the mercenary group with her. The male protagonist. Appears in events alongside the protagonist Mist.
Personality: Gentle, calm, and carefree. A soothing [presence].
Hobbies: Always smiling. Always takes over the conversation before anyone can do anything about it. Always thinking of her older brother (not in a dubious/romantic way).
Motivation/Goal: Devotes her time to everyone in the mercenary group to ensure they are always happy.
So there are some very fun things in here! Let’s take a look:
- A major note is that Mist seems to be a nickname/short version of her full name, written as “Mistene” here. I do not think it was referenced in the game at all, not in the English version anyway!
- Her class was “Lord” as well. We were going to have another female Lord? Considering her specialty is magic, that would have made for a magical female Lord, sort of like Lilina (though she was not really a Lord…), so perhaps like Micaiah in the sequel that followed up. Mist is there and does use magic, but like Ike in the final product, was not really of the Lord class.
- She learns magic from an aged magic user (as in, an old person who knows magic, not someone who uses ancient arts). Considering they were one of their father’s (original) subordinates, it makes you wonder how many other characters there were and their own roles in the game. Another Jagan sort, but magic based, perhaps? Their local magic talent in the final product was Soren and Rhys, so I wonder who this original one may have been.
Ike’s profile didn’t mention him getting injured in an engagement, simply that it was his first one. Yet, here, it mentions he was injured and she takes over as a stand-in captain. Whether this is temporary or permanent is another question, but that would have made for interesting circumstances of having a female lord over a group of people. Shinnon would cry!
- The personality traits may seem odd to have “gentle and calm” with “carefree” as “carefree” sometimes gives off a reckless/brash nature, but in this case they mean one with little worries. So it works, and may explain how they can remain composed and (supposedly) level-headed.
- Her motivations/goal seem more general than Ike’s, as she seems focused on maintaining group morale rather than searching for any truth. However one can assume she was helping Ike with that anyway.
- I love how the developer had to specify she thinks of her brother all the time, but not in a “dubious” way. That word is also used for “potential romances” so I added that as his specific intention in there.
These are just a few observations based on the above. I would love to hear what other Tellius fans can make of the above! Please feel free to sound off in the comments below.
There are other profiles (Tiamat/Titania, Stefan, and Leanne, as well as Elincia, Mist, and Titania’s concept works) that I hope to look into slowly, but surely. Please spread the word to anybody who maybe interested.
Lastly, for reference, below is the original Japanese transcript: