Taking a break from Fire Emblem Fates today! Instead, the Making of Fire Emblem: 25 Years of Development Secrets book features original profiles of characters from Path of Radiance. There are a lot of interesting things to look at for fans of the Tellius saga, familiar names but very different story.
You can find much more from this book on the compilation post here.
As you can imagine, the process of doing all this (scanning, editing, translating in some cases, etc) took a lot of time, and I am unemployed… so if you like what I did, then…
Please donate! It helps fund future projects!
This translation comes from a document on page 337 of the book. It required a magnifying glass to read, but was readable! I provide the original Japanese transcript below my analysis at the end of the post.
Origin: Empire of Babylonia, Principality of Persis
Position: A member of the mercenary group. A leader to the other members.
Class: Great Knight
Specialty: Axes, Lances (Axes are her main weapon)
- 0 Years: Born to a knight family that serves Ike’s father.
- 13 Years: Ike is born. She is assigned the role of being his instructor.
- 14 Years: Mist is born. Ike and Mist are entrusted to her [care].
- 15 Years: Officially knighted.
- 24 Years: Her Lord is charged with treason and executed. Following his dying command, she escapes with Ike and Mist in tow.
- 25 Years: Forms a mercenary group with the remaining members of her former Lord’s family and the other soldiers who survived.
- 29 Years: Ike’s first battle. She hands her position as captain of the mercenary group over to him.
Family Structure: Nothing of particular note at this time.
Personality: Strict, but kind at her core. She is more the stern commander type rather than the big-sister sort. Though, one could say that she is seen as a mother and older sister by Ike, Mist, and the rest of the soldiers anyway.
Hobbies: Giving Ike and Mist valuable advice.
Motivation/Goal: Protecting her former Lord’s orphans Ike and Mist are her highest priority. Her second priority is restoring her former Lord’s honor.
Just a few things here. Let’s take a look:
- Her name (like the other two) remained the same. Tiamat is still her name in Japanese. What is interesting is that the Babylonia Empire name was changed (likely to Begnion), yet Tiamat is a goddess in the (real) Babylonia mythology. Seems her name is a remnant of that motif.
- Her class was to be Great Knight, different than the Paladin she ended up becoming. Yet, even as a Paladin, she still uses the Axe and Lance with Axes are priority, so that remained the same.
- She seemed to be the captain of the group to start off with, and hands the title over to Ike. In the final game, she was more the vice-captain and stayed that way (likely due to Greil having been alive and with them, with Ike then inheriting the title).
- It seems her personality emphasizes that she is the stern commander sort rather than big sister sort. This is likely a note to avert the archetype that one may expect of her, or the impression some may have had of her, seeing her initial designs. Though, it is noted anyway that the others see her as a mother and sister anyway. But just in case that seemed odd to anybody.
These are just a few observations based on the above. I would love to hear what other Tellius fans can make of the above! Please feel free to sound off in the comments below.
There are still two smaller profiles for Stefan and Leanne, as well as Elincia, Mist, and Titania’s concept works that I hope to look into slowly, but surely. Please spread the word to anybody who maybe interested.
Lastly, for reference, below is the original Japanese transcript: