The latest of my daily scan/clean/translation of Fire Emblem if (Fates): 4Koma Kings (ファイアーエムブレムif 4コマKINGS).
This is an individual post for Page 62. The compilation post that features all pages thus far is here!
I do not post the raw scans here, but you may email if you want them to compare translations! I do at least one page per day.
There are some notes for today’s as I had to change some things around for a joke (for the left panel) to work. So please read them below if interested!
All scanning, editing, translating, and uploading is done on my free time and is rather time consuming. It is certainly a lot of work… so please consider donating if you like the work I do. Any amount (no matter how small) is much appreciated and helps me keep going on a daily basis. I hope you enjoy the end results of my work! (If the donate link doesn’t work, try the button on the side -> )
- So this one did what I feared and used a very Japan-specific approach to it that required the Japanese names and such or else wouldn’t work at all. The joke revolves around the game shiritori. It is a game that is played in English from what I saw (still called “shiritori”), but I’m not sure if the general public would know what it is without looking it up. As this is a practice in “localizing” beyond translating (to a certain extent), I decided to adapt it in a way that works in English above.
- There is a children’s game called “first letter last letter” but I’m not sure how many people are familiar with that either, but that is basically the same thing. I avoided using this too for the same “looking it up” reasons.
- You can see I used English names, but those aren’t the actual names that were used. The originals were Felicia, Aqua, Ashura, and Razwardo. They are written that way so the ends and starts connect. (And, Lazward has the Ra for Ashura, and do for him to lament at in the next line).
- Kaze and Azura too, in the last panel, are simply saying “wait, he was just playing shiritori?!”The Japanese audience would know what that means, so in English I wrote their shock at what he’s doing, but also the quick definition of it said in what I think is still a believable and not too forced way.
- I do feel bad about erasing the little chibis there of the characters that were present in the original (with the names that were being said, minus Laslow as it is the same character), and so decided to make a more literal version (with a note) and post it below. It is simply for those who are curious, and reads more like the other 4koma I translated in the past.
- In the end, I feel this was the best way to express author intent with minimal changes in a way that flowed better in English and required minimal looking up for the general English Fire Emblem Fan!
- Which do you like better?