All my articles on localization, comparing Japanese versions to English versions, much like the inspirational Legends of Localization.
Everything from things that changed between games to things that didn’t change. I often look into things by request or when something sparks my natural localization curiosity and write about them whether there were changes or not! So not everything listed is necessary a change, but many of them are.
They are organized by series, which themselves are in alphabetical order, with sub categories for the games in chronological order by release. They are mostly video games, but sometimes anime/other forms of media make an appearance, too. Some may crossover, or appear multiple times.
Ctrl + F is your friend!
Please be aware many spoilers are about, and not all of them are marked. Please read at your own risk!
Video Game Comparisons
Fire Emblem (ファイアーエムブレム)
- 7/Blazing Blade:
- Is Karel’s “sword” a physical blade or a technique?
- A look at the TV Commercial
- Support Conversations:
- Prologue: Batta the Beast (and Lord Batta)
- Ch 14: Serra and Erk – “Oh, that’s so sweet! You wanted to see me again!”
- Ch 26: Does Ursula’s “my lady Limstella” prove Limstella’s gender? (Not really)
- Ch 31x: Did Bartre say a line meant for Karla? (Context matters for determining 1st/2nd person)
- Final Chapter: Nergal’s Final Lines (Translation Error) How a single word makes a difference
- 8/Sacred Stones:
- 9/Path of Radiance:
- Ch. 19: Was Greil’s “harsh scolding” a “harsh beating” in Japanese?
- Ch. 22: Schaeffer’s Death Quote (and babies)
- Ch. 25: What does that “Eat Rock!” guy say in Japanese?
- Marcia’s colorful dialogue (“brainless eunuch,” etc)
- Mia’s Fortune and “white-clad” Archrival
- The “fish out of water” idiom in JP? (Ike and Ranulf C Support)
- 10/Radiant Dawn:
- What does that “Moldy Onions!” guy say in Japanese?
- (Sanaki) “…is punishable by drowning in a pool of rancid butter”
- (Micaiah) “Ike… father of Sothe’s children”
- The Black Knight’s Fate at Nados (a significant change)
- Naming the Goddess of Order and Chaos
- Talrega’s Fate in Japanese?
- What does Mia say in the “execution” cutscene in Japanese?
- “I swear you’d hit on a tree if I dressed it in a skirt” in Japanese?
- 11/Shadow Dragon
- Is Hinata the only father than can die? [Error?]
- Izana’s Character and Izumo’s Portrayal
- Soleil, cows, and “good practice”
- “I was about to walk my cat.”
- Charlotte and the “three choice question”
- Macro Comparisons
- Chapter 1: Elise and the adult she “technically” is
- Conquest Ch 8: Flora & Jakob’s additional dialogue
- Conquest Ch 11: “You and your loopholes”
- Conquest Ch 12: Peri Intro Dialogue
- Conquest Ch 20: “They hate Nohr. Or women. Or Nohrian women.”
- Conquest Ch 26: Corrin’s Dialogue Tone
- Revelation Endgame: Did Corrin reference the “I fight for my friends” meme?
- Paralogue 7: Shiro’s scene change (writing out a slap)
- 15/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- 16/Three Houses
- Three Houses (EN title) vs 風花雪月 (JP Title)
- Was that “Scarecrow” Sylvain flirted with a “man dressed as a woman” in Japanese?
- “You have a gut, Professor.” (and Petra in general)
- “I’m bappy too” (Lysithea and Cyril A Support)
- Bernadetta’s B Support Change in the Patch (not really censorship?)
- Felix and Annette’s very minor but strange A Support Change
- The Two-Toned Whetstone Quest and references to older FE games
Legend of Zelda (ゼルダの伝説)
- A Link to the Past:
- Ocarina of Time:
- Majora’s Mask:
- Tri-Force Heroes:
- Breath of the Wild
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Mario Odyssey
- Black 2/White 2:
- Kiseki Song Lyrics
- “My Body is Ready!” meme reference?
- “Hey, Listen!” Navi reference?
- “Over 9000!” meme reference?
- That grumpy Nurse at the Battle Maison
- Battle Chateau
- That sassy “Owned, suckah!” old man
- Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire:
- Super Mystery Dungeon
Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ)
- Adventure 2:
Super Smash Brothers (大乱闘 スマッシュ ブラザーズ)
- For Wii U/3DS:
Valkyria Chronicles (戦場のヴァルキュリア)
WarioWare (メイド イン ワリオ)
Xenoblade Chronicles (ゼノブレイド)
- DLC Sidequest: “…really likes being high” in JP?
- “Powered-Up Poppi” sidequest: Pyra, Poppi, and a “sense of modesty”
Animations/Other Media Comparisons:
Aladdin (Disney) (アラジン)
Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮・ハルヒ)
Sonic X (ソニックX)
Your Name (君の名は)
Yu Yu Hakusho (幽☆遊☆白書)